Autumn International Update

Created by E Pluribus Anthony / User:Mzajac

Created by E Pluribus Anthony / User:Mzajac

This weekend saw more friendlies take place between some of the biggest teams in International rugby. Wales hosted Argentina hoping to restore some dignity after being spanked by Australia in their previous game, whilst England faced a South African side who’s form has been questionable coming into these games.

Wales started well which led to them dominating the first fourty minutes of rugby, as they were a lot more defensively sound allowing for a more organised looking side to press Argentina. This resulted in Leigh Halfpenny punting two kicks through the posts putting Wales 6-3 up at half time. Throughout the second half, Wales were visibly more efficient and clinical in their passing game, leading to a try from Liam Williams after charging through the Argentinian back line.

However, after a quick taken penalty, Argentina got one back which brought the score line to 11-10. But the Welsh men brought home the victory after Gareth Davies burst out of a scrum deep in the Argentinian twenty-two, bringing the score to 16 – 10. Despite final score of 24 – 20 to wales, coach Rob Howley states that there is ‘plenty to work on’ in preparation for their next game against Japan.

Meanwhile, England faced South Africa who are well known for their physical game as well as being one of the top tier Southern Hemisphere sides. Showing no mercy, England out played South Africa by stretching their defence almost to breaking point at times, as they marched on to 10 consecutive victories under new coach, Eddie Jones.

Flag design by Frederick Brownell, image by Wikimedia Commons users

Flag design by Frederick Brownell, image by Wikimedia Commons users

Not even the rain could dampen the players enthusiasm as they seemed to dance through South African tackles leading to first half tries via Jonny May and Courtney Lawes. However the Springboks did mount the pressure during the opening minutes allowing them to score from a penalty and drop-goal. But England’s players eventually found their rhythm which saw them gain a 11 point advantage at half time; the score 20-9. Fly-half Owen Farrell had a big roll to play through out the match due to him scoring four conversions and two penalties, proving again that he is one of the best players in British rugby today. Despite an attempt to fight back through South Africa’s Johan Goosen who scored a try, the end result was a convincing English win with the final score at 37-21.

Much improved were Scotland, narrowly lost to Australia following a great display, showing lots of promise for future tournaments such as the Six Nations in February next year. They lost by one point, bringing back painful memories of last years World Cup defeat, which was again a loss by one point. An astonishing Scottish performance was partly down to the second row brothers Jonny and Richie Gray, making 47 tackles between them. Australia were lucky to win how they did with the final score being 22 – 23 to the Wallabies. Ireland too were victorious over Canada, beating them at the Aviva Stadium leaving the score at 52-21.


Callum Poole

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.