Blaze Conquer Lightning in Four-Point Weekend


An incredible weekend for the Coventry Blaze was capped off with a stellar performance against local rivals Milton Keynes, defeating them 5-3 to secure their first four-point weekend since September.

The game’s opening period saw a fast-paced flurry of goals with six of the final eight goals being scored in the opening twenty. It was the Blaze’s #88, Marco Vallerand who kicked off the open-season of goal scoring, finding the back of the net at 3.17. Not to be outdone, the Lightning, true to their name, found the back of the net themselves seventeen seconds later (3.34) thanks to the work of #25 Kevin King.

The period continued to be a stream of goals with the Blaze finding the net three more times with Blaze Captain #16 Jordan Pietrus and #58 David Clements both finding the back of the net alongside Vallerand who picked up his second of the night. Lightning struck twice, however, as King also found his second of the night. The first half ended with a staggering 4-2 scoreline.

The second period saw a far more tame approach on the goal scoring front with only one goal coming from the Lightning’s #10 Tommy Mele to bring the deficit down to just one goal. The Skydome went silent after King found the net for a third time but erupted back to its usual lively state after Referee Mick Hicks disallowed the potential equaliser, further building the tensions between the neighbouring teams.

During the third and final period of the game a rejuvenated Blaze fought hard, with fire in their eyes as they came mere inches away from losing their four points. A rough period with multiple penalties called, this was the embodiment of Ice Hockey. Fast-paced, rough, competitive and loud, you couldn’t help but get sucked into the Blaze’s efforts to secure the victory and the Lightning’s attempts to steal it from them. A late-game penalty to King and the pulling of Lightning goalie Miika Wiikman for an extra skater was all the Blaze needed for Captain and man of the match, Jordan Pietrus to secure his second goal of the night but more importantly, the four points that the Blaze needed.

We spoke to Blaze player Marco Vallerand on what he thought about the Blaze’s performance against the MK lightning.

The tension between the two local rivals reached its peak after the game had finished. Lightning Player #50 Matt Nickerson confronted Blaze #47 Danick Paquette both of which began to fight with each other before being pulled apart by officials. It’s clear that the tension was at a boiling point, so much so that the usual post-game handshakes were called off entirely and the Lightning left the ice after their Man of the match was announced.

We caught up with Man of the match, Jordan Pietrus to get his thoughts on the incident that occurred after the game.

A tough game with a desirable result, the Blaze are looking great heading into their next set of games including the anticipated rematch between themselves and the Lightning at the Planet Ice in Milton Keynes.
It’s unsure whether the heat will carry over from this last encounter but there is one thing that is guaranteed. All of those attending, are in for a great night of hockey.

Kane Hocking

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.