HomeNEWSGENERALFroch vs Groves II- ITS ON! February 24, 2014 GENERAL, GLOBAL, NATIONAL The rematch the boxing world has been waiting for is finally going to happen ‘in a huge football stadium’ promoter says. Fight at the Ricoh?- Rumours are about that Coventry’s Ricoh arena could be the setting for the fight After a long drawn out process which involved legal battles, trash talking and a lot of guess work for whether the rematch was going to take place it has finally been confirmed this week that the two fighters Carl Froch and George groves have put pen to paper to sign for what promoter Eddie Hearn has called ‘the biggest fight in British boxing history’. And it will all take place on 31 May. If this proves to be the case the big fight will need a big arena and that is what Hearn has promised and, although the venue has yet to be announced, it is very likely that it will take place in a national football stadium. According to rumours on social media Coventry’s Ricoh arena is a possibility. The Ricoh arena have so far made no comment on these rumours and it is unlikely that the fight will take place at the Ricoh as Eddie Hearn is looking to place the fight in a sixty thousand plus seater stadium (i.e Old Trafford, Wembley) which rules out the Coventry based stadium because it holds 32,000. Proving a point – Champion Froch says he has to prove himself after the controversial end to the first fight For the fight itself it is a rematch of the highly controversial first fight back in November when Carl Froch defended his WBA and IBF super middleweight titles against fellow Brit George Groves in a ninth round stoppage but that was only half the story as before that the challenger was dominating the champion and knocked him down in the very first round before the controversial moment in the ninth round when referee Howard Foster stepped in and stopped the fight when he thought George groves was unable to defend himself after a flurry of punches form Froch. Groves still contests that he was fine and the fight shouldn’t have been stopped as he was ahead on all eight rounds before that and he believes he would have seen it out to become world champion. Subsequently Howard Foster has been retired from refereeing after the fiasco and the IBF ordered the rematch to take place and after jibes from Groves to Froch on social media and pressure from Groves to get the rematch it is finally going to happen and the British public are finally going to get the fight they all have been craving. Sub-editor: Vincenzo Ferrara Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window) Related Leave a Reply Cancel Reply Your email address will not be published.CommentName* Email* Website Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Notify me of new posts by email.