Morecambe 1-1 Coventry City


The Sky Blues made five changes from the side that beat Chesterfield 2-0 on Tuesday with Marvin Sordell and Ruben Lameiras among those deputising in this FA Cup first round tie at the Globe Arena.

In a jam-packed match it was the hosts from Lancashire who had the better of the chances in the first half. They hit the bar and post through Cole Stockton following a Michael Rose corner with a thumping header.

Morecambe hit the woodwork again in the first half and would’ve been cursing their luck as Peter Murphy hit an acute shot and Lee Burge in The Sky Blues goal had to be alert to tip it onto the woodwork.

Coventry were certainly starting to feel the pressure and were it not for the heroics of defender Jordan Willis would’ve gone 1-0 down on the stroke of half-time as he blocked Aaron Wildig’s effort off the line.

Whatever Mark Venus said at half time must’ve worked because Coventry were much improved in the second half and hit the bar themselves after Marvin Sordell’s long ranged effort was deflected onto the crossbar.

However Morecambe deservedly scored when Dean Winnard was in space following a Shrimpers corner and duly slotted past Burge to score his first goal for Morecambe.

The Sky Blues equalised in the 72nd minute through young full back Jamie Sterry as he curled a shot into the bottom corner with his first senior goal for the club and it was a lovely finish.

Morecambe had a chance to win it late on through Tom Barkhuizen with the goal at his mercy he blazed a header over the bar and 1-1 it finished.

Both sides will have to do it all again at the Ricoh Arena in a replay in a couple of weeks time, but for now both sides go into the hat for tomorrow’s second round draw.

Manager Mark Venus said that a draw ‘’was probably a fair result’’ but insists the replay won’t be easy ‘’we’ve got a replay which won’t be easy as anybody who was here can see.’’


James D’Arcy

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.